With hyperlinks, you can link a word or group of words to a different page or post on your website.
To create a hyperlink, highlight the text you want to link and click on the Insert/edit link icon*. An input box will appear, where you can type or paste the URL you want to link. Once you are done, hit enter and Save your changes.
*To see the Insert/edit link icon, you need to make sure the Visual tab is selected on your text editor (top right corner of the editor).
Tags are used for posts to provide searchable keywords that will help the users to reach your content easier.
- To add tags, go to Dashboard/Posts and EDIT any post or add a new one.
- On the right side of the post, there is a TAGS box. Type in the keyword you want to add and click the ADD button. If you want to add multiple words at once, make sure to separate them with comma (",").
- To create a category for your posts, go to Dashboard/Posts/Categories.
- Choose a name for your category and select a Parent category or choose the NONE option to make it independent. You can also add some short description for your category.
- If you wish to edit your category, simply hover over the target category name and click EDIT.
To keep your website fast and hosting costs low, you need to pay attention to the images you upload there. They need to be properly sized and exported before you upload them.
To make sure that your images have the correct size, it is recommended to use the following guidelines:
- Fullscreen backgrounds – 1920px/1280px jpeg;
- Fullwidth backgrounds – 1920px/w jpeg;
- Post or page featured image – 1200px/w jpeg;
- Half screen inside content box – 500px/w jpeg;
- One-third inside content box – 300px/w jpeg;
- One-fourth inside content box – 200px/w jpeg;
If you are replacing an existing image and you are not sure about the size, you can check the dimensions of the old one from Dashboard/Media/Library.
The best way to export images before uploading them to your website is to use a photo editing software like Photoshop. From there you can go to File/Export/Save for web, select .jpeg, set Quality to 80 and the right width of the image. This makes the image at least twice as light and without any noticeable compromise in quality. And the result should be an image in KB, not MB. If it is 1MB or more, it most probably means it's not properly exported.
Best image format to use for your website images is .jpeg. Png is much heavier and can be used only when there is transparency in the image, otherwise it should be converted to .jpeg. Gif is not recommended at all.
Add an Image to a Post
- To ADD NEW IMAGE on a Post, inside post content, make space for it inside the content, leave the cursor there and click on the ADD MEDIA button on top of the Classic editor content box. It will open the Media Library, where you can select an image, or upload a new one.
- After the upload is finished, from the right sidebar you need to also select the image Alignment and Size, in case you want to display a smaller thumbnail, or the full size. Then insert the image with the button on the lower right corner and Save.
Add Featured Image to a Post
To ADD AN IMAGE to a Post as FEATURED IMAGE, open the post, find the Featured image box on the lower right and upload an image from the Media library.
- Below every Page, Post or Product, you will find a SEO dedicated module, called SmartCrawl (or Yoast SEO). Click on Edit meta button and fill in the fields for SEO Title, Description and Focus keyword, following the guidelines, provided by SmartCrawl (Yoast). Don’t forget to save/update the page/post/product after you are done.
- To edit the SEO related fields of the images, go to Dashboard/Media/Library and open the image you want to edit.
- Most important field is the image Title. Entitle the image in a descriptive way, using proper keywords.
- You should fill in the Alternative text field too. It is used to describe the image and its purpose, so that if for some reason, like poor internet connection, the image doesn’t load, visitors will still be able to understand what was the missing image about.
- To create a new menu, go to Dashboard/Appearance/Menus
- Click on the "create new menu" link
- Type in a name for your menu and click on Create Menu
- You will see the Menu settings, where you can choose the Display location(s) (Primary, Secondary, Footer etc).
- Add menu items from the Pages box. You can also add links and categories to the menu. Just click on the items you'd like to add and click on Add to Menu button.
- You can create submenus by simply dragging the menu items to the right as shown here:
- Once you are done with your menu click on the Save menu button and go to the display location to see the result.
To access the Media Library, go to your website and select Media/Library. There you will see all the files and images that have been uploaded to your library. You can use any file in the library for your posts or pages, or add new files. From there you can also edit file information, e.g. title and description, or delete files.
- Login to your site and go to Media tab. Select the Add new option.
- Drag and drop the file you want to add in the rectangle or use the Select files button.
How to edit a post
- In WordPress there are different Post Types and the most common are Pages (used for static content) and Posts (used for dynamic content). If you want to EDIT a Page, once you are logged in, go to Pages, find your page, hover on top of it and click Edit.
- Below you can see the EDIT the Post Title and slug (url), Post Content, and on the right bar Publishing date, Category, Tags and Featured image. We usually do not enable Divi Builder on Posts, but if it is enabled on your website, editing posts becomes the same as editing pages.
- To ADD NEW POST, go to Dashboard/Posts/Add new. Then you can add the Title and the Content* of the post, select the post Category if applicable, set the Featured image and Publish. Detailed instructions are available here.
*If your other posts use Divi Builder, you will have to enable it here with Use The Divi Builder button, then choose Clone existing page, find a post with a layout that works for you and load it. Then you need to edit the content there, same as editing pages.